Friday 19 November 2010

Women's Cakes

Cakes for the Female of the Species.
Pretty, fun, glamorous, everything a girl needs!


These are all cakes that have been made for friends and relatives. These kinds of cakes always provide an opportunity to indulge my love for things that serve no other purpose than to be lovely and to be enjoyed.

This chocolate monster was made for our mothers day dinner. It was dedicated to all the women in the family, which of course meant it had to be chocolate! The covering is made from chocolate ganache, which is a combination of double cream and dark chocolate. I then drizzled white chocolate around the edges, once the cakes had all been stacked, The roses and butterflies were handmade from chocolate flavoured fondant icing ( the roll out kind).



These were just some little cupcakes I had to make in a hurry for a friends birthday. I used flowers that I had left over from other projects. If you are ever doing some cake decorating I strongly advise you always make extras so that if you have to do something short notice you always have decorations at hand. I've found this to be very useful. And if you have some nice cupcake boxes, it's really easy to make a lovely gift relatively quickly and cheaply.


This cake was made for my sister in law. She's a real lady, young, modern and glamorous. I tried to create something that suited her, using colours that I felt she would enjoy, pretty but rich. Over a period of about a week I modelled all the items of makeup, flowers and shoes, making the basic shapes and then leaving them to dry. Once dried I put them together and hand painted them so they would look realistic, but I also dusted them with a healthy dose of sparkle, sparkle goes a long way in my world! The cake was supposed to be reminiscent of a young womans dressing table.





The following cake was one for my mothers birthday. She's also a woman who enjoys the feminine side of life when she gets a chance. The bag design was a copy of a real bag I had seen on line. I chose animal print because my mum is originally from South Africa and still has a deep love for the country and wildlife. So I tried to combine the feminine with the African. She was very happy with it. Now, since it was my first ever handbag, I would do certain things differently, but it has all been a learning curve, and unless you take some risks you never learn! I really want to try my hand at another bag cake sometime.



This delicate little creation was for someone near and dear, Keeley, who was turning 19. I know it seems uber girly, but I felt she needed something just very pretty to stay in touch with still being young and lovely.






1 comment: