Tuesday 16 November 2010

Wedding cakes and decadent fancies

Wedding Cakes

This is my first full on wedding commission. My friend Emma saw a cake by another designer that was a teapot with teacups and she fell in love with it! I said that I felt I would be able to produce a similar version if that was what she wanted for her vintage tea party themed wedding. I knew it would be a challenge but one I was keen to try. I then set about working out exactly how I could make the saucers and  the right shaped teacups as well as designing the colour scheme to fit around the colour scheme of the wedding. I slowly started to try things out in my spare time, looking up different techniques and trying out designs.





Apart from the cake stand, everything you see is edible. The teacups are chocolate cake covered with fondant icing, and all the saucers, teacup handles, teapot handle and spout, flowers etc are made with edible sugarpaste, individually hand painted with edible dust colours. The 'tea' is buttercream icing coloured to a tea colour using a combination of paste colours.



The teacupcakes were served to the guests on the top table, with summer berries and coulis for dessert.



The rest of the wedding guests were served individual cupcakes which I had made to tie in with the overall theme.



The whole wedding was particularly beautiful and stylish. For more beautiful pictures of the whole event and better photos of my work, you can go to professional photographers Neil Redfern at
http://www.neilredfern.com/blog/lytham-hall-wedding-photography-emma-ben/

4 comments:

  1. As the groom from the wedding Sandy describes above I'd like to say thanks for the amazing work. The cakes were beautiful, and Sandy really pulled out all the stops to help us. She was an important part of our special day, and Emma and I would recommend her to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely adorable. Thank you for sharing it with us. I would be delighted if someone had made me such a stunning cake. I have just started cake decorating last month and am thoroughly enjoying. You have inspired me to give this one a try. But know it won't be as delightful as yours but with practice I might just make a passable attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I wondered what you used to get such a perfect shape on the teacup and also what you used for the gold colour of the rims? So beautiful and would love to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, thank you for your appreciation of my work. I used half ball cake tins to bake the cakes for teacups an then put them upside down, and covered them carefully with fondant, trimming the edges then smoothing all over with a cake smoother. once they had dried out I turned them over and rolled out thin sausage shapes to cover the edges. I painted them with gold dust mixed with rejuvenating spirit, a couple of layers, which seemed to work very well. hope that's useful wish I'd seen this comment sooner, so hope you get this answer still.

      Delete