Tuesday 7 June 2011

Wedding Cake Headache!

Summer Blossoms



Well I've finally had a chance to do some blogging after a very intense couple of weeks. The main reason being I had a large wedding cake commission for the 4th of June which turned out to be more of a headache than expected. I think I'm learning that 'collaborating' nearly always turns out to be problematic! The brides future mother-in-law baked the beautiful fruit cakes for me to decorate, as a gift, but because I didn't bake the cakes myself, I made a mistake in the size of the cakes I asked her to bake. It was such a silly but fundamental mistake to make, and one I was blissfully unaware of until it was too late to correct. Well, needless to say, after much blood, sweat and tears I had to surrender to my mistake and make the most of it.
  The final cake was a perfectly acceptable wedding cake, but just not what the poor bride had exactly asked for. I realise in hindsight that part of the problem was that my nerves got the better of me, as I was too eager to impress the lady in question, who I consider to have particularly good taste. But you live and you learn, and I now know exactly what dimensions I need for a particular style of cake. I'll just notch it all up to experience, and also make sure that I have absolutely everything worked out ahead of schedule, although to be fair this is my first 'hiccup'. It's just that as an artist I am a bit of a perfectionist and always want to do my absolute best for every piece of work. But it's bound to happen that there are occasions when things don't work out exactly the way you'd like them to. It wasn't a disaster, just not the triumph I always hope for!

The cake in situ waiting for more table dressings.

Handmade sugar paste blossoms.


The bride had bought these beautiful little blank wooden bride and groom figures and hand painted them herself  to be used on the cake. I thought they were so fresh and delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment